Once you’ve created Courses, Genius makes it possible for you to arrange those Courses into Learning Pathways. A Learning Pathway in Genius is a collection of related courses that, when completed, lead to a Certificate of Completion for the learner that completes all courses in the Pathway. You can also use Learning Pathways to enroll Learners into multiple courses at a time, as you can enroll your learners into a course or into a Learning Pathway using essentially the same tools as for Courses. Finally, when you create Learners in bulk, you can “pre-load” them into a Learning Pathway, ensuring that, for example, the learners you create are assigned into a Learning Pathway comprised of courses that are required of new hires at your organization.
In this Article, we will go over the basics of creating Learning Paths in Genius. When you are finished reading this Article, you will be familiar with the mechanics of creating Learning Pathways from the Courses you create in Genius.
Creating Learning Paths
To create a new learning path or edit an existing learning path, click on the Courses tab, and then find the heading titled Learning Paths. Click on Add Learning Path to add a new learning path.
Much like with Courses, Learning Paths require that you fill out a few basic details about the learning Path you are creating, including:
- The Name of the Learning Path you are creating.
- The Affiliation that this Learning Path will be associated with. Remember, if you write down an Affiliation, this means that this Learning Path will only be available to users in that specific Affiliation.
- The Department (if any) that this Affiliation belongs to.
- The Duration, in days, of this Learning Path.
- The Status of this Learning Path (whether it is Active or Archived).
- Whether this Learning Path will be available for self-registration in Genius
- Finally, a short and a long description of the Learning Path.
Just like with Courses, you can upload an image into Genius and then add its path to provide a preview image for this Learning Path on the Course Catalog. You can also define a Price for the Learning Path as a whole. Note that this allows you to provide a “bundled” price for a series of courses, as opposed to individual-course prices set when you create Sections for each course.
Once you have filled out the basic information about the Learning Path, you can begin adding Courses (not Sections) to create the Learning Path. Using the same screen as before, you can click on the Add a course link near the bottom center of the screen, and the following floating window will appear:
The preferences that appear in this window are important, so we will take some time to discuss them at length below:
- Course – the Course field allows you to choose the course that you want to add to the Learning Path using a drop-down menu. You will have all courses in your learning initiative available for selection; however, keep in mind that if you have restricted access to a specific course based on the learner’s Affiliation, then those restrictions may affect which learners can access the new Learning Pathway that you are creating;
- Sort Order – This is important. You can define the position of the course in the Learning Pathway’s progression by adding a figure to each course in the Pathway. So, for example, the first course that you want your Learners to complete can have a Sort Order of 1, the second course can have a Sort Order of 2, and so on. When a learner is enrolled in a Learning Pathway, she will typically be enrolled in the first course in the Pathway. As that course is completed, she will be enrolled in the next course in the Pathway, without any intervention from an Administrator. If you give all courses in the Pathway the same Sort Order, enrolling a Learner in the Pathway will be equivalent to enrolling him or her in all courses in the Pathway at the same time;
- Type – In the Learning Pathways that you create in Genius, a course can be either Mandatory or Optional. For a Learning Pathway to be considered Complete, all courses marked as Mandatory must have been completed.
Once you are finished filling out the required information, click Save. You must add at least one course to the Learning Path to be able to Save it in your instance of Genius.
Your version of Genius may allow you to set up your Learning Paths to expire after a certain period of time. If you want to set up a Learning Path to expire, you can set up the individual courses to expire after a specified period of time, as described in this article[link: expirations]
To learn more…
Learning Pathways are one of the ways in which Genius helps you create more complex ‘curriculums’ out of the courses in your learning initiative. Please check back to this article to find out more about how Genius can help you create complex learning paths, with both mandatory and optional courses, that provide your learners with more options when it comes to choosing their learning content.
Once created, you can add Learning Pathways to your Course Catalog[link: setting up course catalogs]. You can also follow up on the status of your Learning Paths through the Reports[link: using the built-in Reports…] included with Genius, or you can set up automatic reminders[link: communication in Genius] to communicate with your learners around the status of your Learning Paths.