All the Genius SIS sites are created with the chosen pre-fix and geniussis.com domain, e.g. company-abc.geniussis.com.
- If you decide to use provided domain like CUSTOMER.geniussis.com, then Genius team will provide the SSL certificate.
- If you prefer to use something of your own, you need to provide the SSL certificate.
A and CNAME records are standard DNS records. The A name must resolve to an IP. The CNAME record must point to a name. Genius SIS uses the A name approach. The process of applying the vanity name is as follows with 3 stipulations:
- You have to own the new URL you want to use.
- It should not currently be in use by another site.
- You have to provide or newly purchase an SSL certificate for the desired URL.
Throughout this process, work with your organization's IT department to determine what URL can be chosen and how they plan to handle the SSL certificates. Your Genius Implementation PM can assist with these tasks if required.
Applying a Vanity Name to your Genius Site
The steps are:
- The server is created by Genius SIS team with a specific IP address. An email will be sent to notify the parties about the new sites and logins.
- Client specifies the new URL and their location to use for our records (e.g. training.company.com, located in Sacramento, CA). This information needs to be sent to the Genius Implementation PM assigned to your organization.
- A CSR is then generated by the Genius SIS developer.
- An email is sent to the client’s IT department/contact person with the server IP address and CSR attachment to generate the certificates for the SSL.
- Certificates are created by the client and sent back to the Genius SIS team.
- The Genius Developer works to install certificates on the server.
- Once the certificate is installed, the client is notified by the Implementation PM and instructed to point the DNS to the Genius SIS server's IP address (in case this has not been done).
Keep in mind that you may have both a production and a sandbox site. Each one will require a separate certificate and repeated steps. Genius SIS can handle both wildcard and SAN certs.