As we described in Classifying Users under Genius[link:classifying users under Genius], Affiliations are a key feature of the Genius SIS. By using Affiliations, you can classify your users in a hierarchical, tree-like structure. Because most organizations already have a reporting structure in place, you can use Affiliations in Genius to classify your users according to their position in your organizational hierarchy. However, Affiliations in Genius can be anything you want - sales territories, academic departments, or any division of users that help you manage your learning initiative more effectively.
Classifying your users makes many time-saving workflows possible. For example, you can select all users that belong to a specific affiliation and enroll them in a course or even a learning pathway - a set of courses grouped together. Affiliations also make it possible to run reports for a specific group of users only - and by assigning a Manager to an affiliation, it is also possible to include her as an active part of her learners' coursework through the Dashboards[link: dashboards] and the Approval Workflows[link: setting up approvals] included with Genius.
This section of the Administrator's Knowledge Base is designed to teach you all about affiliations and get you started in creating, configuring, and taking advantage of Affiliations to manage your learning initiative using Genius.
In this section…
The contents of this section include:
- Creating an Affiliation: a step-by-step guide for you to create a new affiliation and a sub-affiliation, and how to edit the information in the profile for each affiliation.
- Assigning Learners to an Affiliation: how to classify your learners under an Affiliation, both manually and in bulk.
- Assigning a Manager to an Affiliation: how to assign a Manager to an Affiliation, and a bit about how Managers can help you delegate some of the tasks that fall on you as an Administrator.
- Managing Affiliations: a complete reference guide to each feature and function offered by Genius around Affiliations.
Affiliations for Power Users
As we described in How this Knowledge Base Works[link: how this knowledge base works], please check back throughout the course of 2018 and the beginning of 2019 for new content around several advanced features around Affiliations. Some of the topics that will be available by then include:
- Automating Affiliations
- The Affiliation Dashboard
- Checking on an Affiliation's Current Status
- Using Reports to Manage Affiliations
To learn more...
Once you have become familiar with how to set up and use affiliations, it will be time to define semesters and terms[link: introduction to semesters and terms] and create learners[link: creating learners] for your learning initiative. You will also want to create courses[link: creating courses], and then use affiliations to restrict access to some courses[link: restricting access to courses] to a specific group of learners - one of the many ways in which you can use Affiliations to save time when it comes to managing your learning initiative with the Genius SIS.