Now that you have become familiarized with some of the 'theory' behind how Genius works, you are ready to take full advantage of this Knowledge Base. In this Article, we will describe how this Knowledge Base works, how the articles that comprise it are classified, and how you can browse or search through the content in this Knowledge Base to get the answers you need quickly and efficiently.
How These Articles Work
The first batch of articles in this Knowledge Base are not organized by menu item. Instead, they are organized by operations. This means that we present you with detailed instructions on how to do specific tasks in Genius, as opposed to explaining you what each menu item does.
We believe that this is a better way to showcase our solution and how it has been designed to help with the administration of learning initiatives.
We have decided to create this Knowledge Base in two "sprints" - one for the basic tasks required to get going as an Administrator, and the second for the more advanced tasks that save you even more time when it comes to managing a learning initiative with Genius SIS.
In the sections that follow, we provide a breakdown of the content considered "Basic" vs. "Advanced" Administration tasks, and we provide links to the leading article in each section. By following through the link, you will land in an article that contains links to each of the articles in that specific section. Because of this, this Article acts as a 'table of contents' for the entire Admin Knowledge Base:
When we created the Basic Administration tasks, we thought of the tasks that would be required to move an instance of Genius from out-of-the-box to fully functional. Because of this, the Basic series of articles in the Admin Knowledge Base describes what is required to get Genius 'started'. Links to the leading articles for each topic in the Basic Administration section follow below:
- Affiliations - what they do, how to create them, assign managers and users to an affiliation
- Semesters and Terms - creating them and using them to classify sections and ensure that your organization's rules around academic terms are respected.
- Courses and Sections - how to create a course or section manually, including how to define pre-requisites for a course, assigning instructors to courses and editing a course or section's Information page.
- Learning Pathways - creating a new Learning Pathway, adding a course to a Learning Pathway, issuing certificates at the end of a Learning Pathway and enrolling users into a Pathway of your choice.
- Learners - allowing learners to create their own accounts, creating learners manually and in bulk, searching for a learner and editing a learner's information.
- Instructors - creating instructors manually and in bulk, assigning instructors to a section, searching for an Instructor, and the Instructor Information and Dashboard pages.
- Enrolling Learners - enrolling learners into learning pathways, and sections both manually and in bulk.
- Communication - manual communication with learners and other users, setting up automatic notifications in Genius, including how to modify the templates included with the Solution and how to set up periodic or fully automated notifications.
- Transcripts and Certificates - setting up Genius to print transcripts and certificates for your learners automatically.
- Reporting - an overview of how Reporting works in Genius, running the reports included with Genius out of the box, using the Report Builder included with Genius and setting up reporting subscriptions.
- Enforcement - removing users from sections and from the platform as a whole.
- Branding - how to brand your Genius instance with your organization livery.
Searching & Browsing Through Articles
You can always use the Search box included with our Knowledge Base in order to find the content you need. In addition, the Cover Page for the Genius Admin Knowledge Base summarizes all the articles that comprise this section of our Help Knowledge Base, allowing you to quickly browse and find the content you need.
The articles across this Knowledge Base will continue to change and be updated as time goes on, so please feel free to continue checking and you will find new or updated content. We have also enabled comments in most of these articles - if you post a comment with a suggestion, complaint or question, one of our team members will be in contact with you as soon as possible.
Note: The responses provided by our team members to comments posted on the Knowledge Base are an additional, voluntary support mechanism provided by Genius to our clients. Because of this, they do not fall under the SLA for support tickets established in your Contact. If your instance of Genius is facing a complex challenge, please contact Genius Support ASAP.